"Once upon a time a lovely young Princess made a special birthday wish...to have the most magical fairytale Sleeping Beauty Party in all the Kingdom..."
Fortunately for the beautiful young Princess, the King and Queen knew of her wish and had already asked the Three Good Fairies - Merryweather, Fauna and Flora - to cast a magical spell to enable them to make the Princess's birthday wish come true.
To be able to create and cast their magic spell, the Three Good Fairies would need...
Magical Sleeping Beauty Birthday Party "Ingredients"
...all of which the Three Good Fairies would find on this special Sleeping Beauty party page ;-)
The Three Good Fairies also suggested that the King and Queen pay a royal visit to the Princess Party page because it too is stuffed full of magical princess birthday party ideas and free princess birthday printables which could help the King and Queen with their Sleeping Beauty party planning.
The Sleeping Beauty Story (Summarised!)
"If you think Sleeping Beauty lived with a group of dwarves or that she dropped her glass slipper on the steps of a far-away palace, then this is definately for you! ;-) ..."
When Princess Aurora is born, she lives with her mother and father (King Stefan and Queen Leah) in the Palace. She is betrothed to Prince Phillip, son of King Hubert so that the kingdoms of Stefan and Hubert will be forever united (and happy).
At her christening, three good fairies (Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather) arrive to bless her. Flora gives her the gift of beauty while Fauna gives her the gift of song. Before Merryweather can give her blessing, the wicked fairy Maleficent appears and curses the princess to die if she touches a spinning wheel's spindle before her sixteenth birthday. Merryweather uses her blessing to weaken the curse so that instead of dying, Princess Aurora will fall into a deep sleep until she is awakened by true love's kiss.
Her father King Stefan orders all spinning wheels in the kingdom to be burned but the three good fairies know Maleficent's curse cannot be stopped. To protect Princess Aurora they change her name to Briar Rose, disguise themselves as her 'aunts' and raise her themselves in a remote woodland cottage until she turns sixteen.
Maleficent has been unable to find Princess Aurora during this time and sends her raven 'Diablo' to look for her. On the day of her sixteenth birthday the good fairies try to make Aurora a special dress and a special birthday cake but things go wrong and their fairy magic catches the attention of Diablo, who flies back to tell Maleficent.
Meanwhile, Princess Aurora is gathering berries in the woods with her animal friends and her singing attracts the attention of a handsome Prince Phillip who is out riding his horse in the woods. When they meet they instantly fall in love but Prince Phillip believes she is just a peasant girl.
Princess Aurora runs home without learning his name. Despite promising to meet him again, the 3 good fairies tell Aurora the truth about who she really is and take her to the palace to meet her parents. They insist she never see him again. Prince Phillip returns home telling his father of a peasant girl he met and wishes to marry in spite of his prearranged marriage to Princess Aurora.
In the palace Maleficent uses her magic to lure Aurora away from her room to a tower, where a spinning wheel awaits her. Aurora touches the spindle, pricking her finger and completing the curse.
The good fairies place Princess Aurora on a bed and place all in the kingdom in a deep ageless sleep until the spell is broken. Before falling asleep, King Hubert tells Stefan of his son being in love with a peasant girl and the good fairy Flora realizes that Prince Phillip is the man Aurora has fallen in love with.
Prince Phillip arrives at the cottage to find Aurora but is captured by Maleficent's minions and taken to the dungeon in The Forbidden Mountain to prevent him from kissing Aurora. However, the good fairies sneak into Maleficent's stronghold and free the prince.
Armed with the magical Sword of Truth and The Shield of Virtue, Phillip and the fairies escape from the Forbidden Mountain. When the raven Diablo tries to warn Maleficent, Merryweather chases him and eventually kills him by turning him into a stone statue, her magic alerting Maleficent.
The Prince battles Maleficent when she transforms into a gigantic fire-breathing dragon. After a long fight Phillip throws the sword, blessed by the fairies' magic, directly into Maleficent's heart causing her to fall from a cliff to her death.
Prince Phillip then climbs to Aurora's chamber, and removes the curse with a kiss and they return to the ballroom, where Aurora is reunited with her parents and she and Prince Phillip dance a waltz.
The Main Sleeping Beauty Characters
"If you don't know your 'Merryweathers' from your 'Maleficents', here's a little 'guide' to help keep you out of trouble ;-) ..."
Knowing who all the characters are can really help with any role-playing during the party or during party games. It's also great for identifying the role played by the grown-ups during the party (usually the servants or the 'bad guys'!).
Here's a list of the main Sleeping Beauty characters to help with your party planning:
(The name of the Sleeping Beauty is "Princess Aurora" which is Latin for "dawn". When she is in hiding from the vile Maleficent she is called "Briar Rose").
- Princess Aurora/Briar Rose - (the snoozing beauty)
- Maleficent - Evil fairy (Boo, hiss!)
- Flora the red fairy - (the good fairy)
- Fauna the green fairy - (the other good fairy)
- Merryweather the blue fairy - (the 3rd good fairy!)
- Prince Phillip - (dashing handsome Prince, fresh from charm school)
- King Stefan - (a good old chap)
- Queen Leah - (the obediant Queen)
- King Hubert - (a decent fellow too)
- Maleficent's Goons - (mean yet hopelessly inept)
- Diablo (Maleficent's raven) - (dark, cool and efficient)
- The Owl - (as wise as..an 0wl!)
- Kingdom of Stefan - (a green and pleasant land where everyone's happy)
- Kingdom of Hubert - (a green and pleasant land where everyone's happy too!)
- The Spinning Wheel - (ouch!...zzzzzz)
- The Tower - (always available when there's someone who needs to be 'gounded')
Sleeping Beauty Party Invitations
"Hear, ye! hear ye! all Princesses and Princess throughout the Kingdom, Her Royal Highness Princess Aurora requests your attendance at her Magical Sleeping Beauty Party.."
Here's a selection of our free Sleeping Beauty party invitations that we've
created especially for the Sleeping Beauty birthday theme - Just go ahead and click on one of the images below, save and print as many free party invites as you need :-)
FREE Sleeping Beauty Birthday Invitations
These Sleeping Beauty "Kiss" invitations are simple and fun to make and the girls will just love them!
Each printed page produces 2 individual colored birthday invitations which look best when printed on premium white paper. Depending on how large you want your invitations to be, we suggest selecting either A4 size paper (or the equivalent) for large invitations, or A5 paper (or the equivalent) for small invitations.
Once you've printed them, go ahead and cut around the edge of the lips with a sharp pair of scissors or craft knife to create your kiss-shaped invites. Once you've added the name of each party guest along the dotted line of your invitations (where the arrow is pointing) your Sleeping Beauty birthday invitations will be ready for the royal messenger to deliver!...
You'll find more Free Princess birthday party invitations on our princess party printables page.
Make Your Own Sleeping Beauty Party Invitations
If you feel like being a little creative and making your own unique Sleeping Beauty invitations, then here are a few fun Sleeping Beauty party invitation ideas to help get you started:
(Make sure you also take a look at how to create your own amazing princess party invitation paper and what princess writing font
or style to use by visiting our main princess party page).
The Sleeping Beauty 'Spinning Wheel' Invitation
Cut out the shape of a 'spinning wheel' from silver, gold, pink or purple card and lightly decorate with sparkly glitter. Print or write out your Sleeping Beauty birthday invitation message on the back of the card or on a separate piece of paper and glue it to the back of each 'spinning wheel'.
Here's a free Sleeping Beauty spinning wheel picture you can print and use for your invitations:
'Locked in the Tower' Invitation
Cut out the shape of a 'Tower' from silver or gold card and lightly decorate with magical dust (sparkly glitter), sequins and son on. Print or write out your invitation message on the reverse side of your tower card or on separate colored paper and glue to the back of each card.
Here's a princess palace with lots of towers that you could print and use for your invites, or use it to draw your own unique Sleeping Beauty tower:
Sleeping Beauty Party Invitation Wording
When it comes to writing your Sleeping Beauty invitations here's a few ideas to help get you started:
- "Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Princesses, Princes, Fairy Godmothers and Knight's of the Kingdom, Her Royal Highness Princess "........" (name of birthday girl) requests the pleasure of your attendance at her Fairytale Sleeping Beauty Birthday Party Ball, to celebrate the ...... (age) year of her birth.
- Sleeping Beauty Birthday Party Ball will be held at the Royal Palace of ...... (your house name and address), on ........ (party date) and commence at ....... (time). Horse and carriage should arrive to collect the young princesses from the Royal Palace at ...... (party finish time).
- R.S.V.P to Her Royal Highness Queen ....... (your name) on ........ (your phone #)
- Dress code to be ......... (fill in with 'Sleeping Beauty Casual' or 'Sleeping Beauty Royal Dress' etc.)
Make sure to include the following information in your Princess Aurora / Sleeping Beauty Party Invitations:
- A Fairytale Princess name for each of the party guests. You can use the child's own name and address for inspiration, like "Her Royal Highness Princess Stacey of Claremont", or use the character names from the Sleeping Beauty story for inspiration.
- The Sleeping Beauty party address.
- The Queen's (you) contact telephone numbers.
- The Sleeping Beauty party date, start time and finish time (time for parents to collect their kids before the clock strikes midnight!).
- Directions and a map to the Royal Party Palace – you can mark the location with a sticker of a Fairytale Castle :-)
- What the Costume requirements are - Sleeping Beauty casual or Sleeping Beauty 'Royal'!
..and anything else you can think of!
Sleeping Beauty Birthday Greeting Cards
If you've been locked in the tower and are unable to get to the shops to pick up a suitable Sleeping Beauty birthday card, then here's a free birthday greeting card you can print and send to your very own little Princess Aurora:
FREE Sleeping Beauty Birthday Card
You'll find lots more free princess birthday greeting cards you can use on our princess printables page, so make sure you take a peek there too!
Sleeping Beauty Party Decorations
"I like what you've done with the place Your Majesty!"
Here are the main Sleeping Beauty colors based on her iconic Disney dresses (both old and new) that you may want to use for your Sleeping Beauty party decorations' color scheme:
Sleeping Beauty Party Decorations 'Checklist'
Make sure you visit our fairytale Princess Party page where you'll find lots of colorful and creative princess decoration ideas that can easily be adapted to your Sleeping Beauty party.
In addition to all the creative birthday party decoration ideas and princess props to be found on our Princess Party page, these Sleeping Beauty decoration ideas will help to "Disneyfy" your Sleeping Beauty Party:
1. Use pictures, coloring pages and posters to decorate your party area; These should include pictures of...
- Sleeping Beauty
- Maleficent and her crow Diablo
- The thee Fairies (Merryweather, Flora and Fauna) - Red, Blue and Green
- The Big Dragon (Maleficent)
- The Prince fighting the Dragon
- The Prince and the Palace
- The Tower
- Princess Aurora´s Spinning Wheel
2. Place Sleeping Beauty props on and around the birthday party table and party area, These should include...
- 'Magic Wands' (red, green and blue for each of the Three Good Fairies)
- A pale blue (sky), pink, gold or silver sheet to pin above the party table and drape down.
- Drape colored 'spinning wheel yarn' (or knitting wool) around the table and chairs or down from the ceiling above the table.
- Gold or silver colored cutlery for the princesses to eat at the table with.
- Candelabras or fancy candlesticks (gold or silver) for the table with red, orange and yellow tissue paper placed where the candle should be (for safety!).
- Use a 'spinning wheel' (if you can get one from a toy store or on eBay) as a table centrepiece (Sleeping Beauty used one in the tower before pricking her finger and falling asleep...zzzz).
Lots of these props and pictures could be given out as party favors to the young party princesses at the end of the party as keepsakes.
FREE Sleeping Beauty Party Decorations
Sleeping Beauty Party Activities
"Coloring, singing and building...is there no end to a Princess's talents?"
Young party princesses just love busying their royal fingers with fun birthday party activities like:
- Building Cookie Castles and Sugar-Cube Palaces
- Taking Princess 'Fashion and Beauty' photos
- Making A Princess 'Party Crown'
- Creating 'Magic Wands'
- Visiting The 'Princess Salon'
You'll find all of these activities and more on our Princess Party Activities page so make sure you take a look.
Sleeping Beauty Coloring Pages
Young Princesses just love coloring-in and princess coloring sheets make a great birthday party activity, particularly as an ice-breaker at the start of the party.
Set out a table for the kids with coloring sheets, colored pens and crayons so that the earlier arrivers can get busy coloring in and chatting while they wait for the late-comers!
Here's a few free Sleeping Beauty coloring sheets that you can print for them to use...
Free Sleeping Beauty Coloring Sheets
Sleeping Beauty Party Games
We've put together so many fun princess birthday games that we've had to move them on to their very own Princess Party Games page! - you'll find lots of exciting and challenging birthday games to keep your young Disney Princesses and Sleeping Beauty's excited and giggling for hours!...
- Building cookie castles and sugarcube palaces
- Taking Princess 'Fashion and Beauty' photos
- Making a Princess crown
- Creating 'magic wands'
- Visiting the 'Princess Salon'
- ...and many more :-)
Sleeping Beauty Birthday Party Gift Ideas
If you're in need of some cute little gift bags to pop your party favors into before handing them to your young Princess Auroras' at the end of your Sleeping Beauty birthday, then why not use our free Sleeping Beauty favor bags - just go ahead and print as many as you need, glue the flaps down to make your bags, then attach one of our free Sleeping Beauty gift tags to each bag with a pretty piece of ribbon and pop their names inside each of the gift tags.
Free Sleeping Beauty Party Favor Bags
Sleeping Beauty Thank You Cards
Here are a couple of free Sleeping Beauty thank you cards and notes you can give or send to your princess party guests to thank them for coming to your birthday and for making it such a royal success! - alternatively, why not pop one inside each of your party gift bags...
Free Sleeping Beauty Birthday Thank You's
Your Sleeping Beauty Parties & Ideas
Do you have some fairytale Sleeping Beauty birthday party ideas you'd like to share?
Sharing your own Sleeping Beauty party ideas is a great way to help other parents with their own Disney Princess birthday parties. It's also a great way to encourage them to share their ideas...which may in turn help you with your next birthday party! ;-)
Maybe you've got a great idea for a Sleeping Beauty birthday cake or party invitation? Or a fun Sleeping Beauty party game or creative birthday activity? Maybe you've created some special Sleeping Beauty party costumes or Disney Princess party decorations that'll help inspire others?
If so, we'd All love to hear from you. Please take a moment to share your own Sleeping Beauty birthday parties and ideas
Thanks for sharing! :-)